The parish of Manchester located in the south –west section of Jamaica and is the sixth largest parish on the island (190,000 in 2001) with a surface area of 830 square km. The parish has a wealth of traditional culture, historical association and heritage sites. Evidence of Taino/ Arawak occupation was established when in 1792 a survey found two carvings believed to be Amerindian zeme, in a cave in the Carpenter’s Mountain.  They are now at the British Museum.

The parish of Manchester was formed in 1814 by an Act of the House of Assembly from parts of the parishes of St. Elizabeth, Clarendon and Vere.  It was done in response to a petition from the inhabitants of Mile Gully, May Pen and Carpenters Mountain who complained that they were too far away from an administrative centre.  It was named in honor of the Duke of Manchester who was then the Governor of the island.  The capital town, Mandeville, established in 1816, was named after his eldest son, Lord Mandeville.  Mandeville is considered an old English town and is loved by European returning residents, primarily because of its salubrious climate and pristine beauty.  This town is regarded by many as the cleanest in Jamaica.

Photos of historic sites
Williamsfield Great House
 
18th Century Church
 
View from Williamsfield Great House
 
Mandeville Hotel
 
 
   
©2006 www.highmountaincoffee10.com All Rights Reserved. Design by SRX Designs